Gordon Ratcliffe

Houston junior Gordon Ratcliffe jumps into the Arctic Ocean with a tammate after the Hawks scored a win in Barrow for the first time in school history.

WASILLA — Houston, Wasilla and Redington shared a few things in common during the third week of the prep football season. All three teams were on the road, each struggled during the first quarter, and the Hawks, Warriors and Huskies all erupted to score lopsided victories.

Houston beat Barrow 31-6. Wasilla blanked Kodiak 42-0. Redington cruised to a 50-14 win over Seward.

The Hawks made history Saturday, scoring their first victory in program history at Barrow.

More inside

“This is a big win for the program. We’ve never won there. It was on a list of things we had to accomplish,” Houston head coach Glenn Nelson said.

The score was tied at 6 early, but Houston scored 25 unanswered points.

“The second quarter we made a little bit of distance for ourselves,” Nelson said. “The kids didn’t let up.”

Twins Owen and Gavin Mulhaney combined to score three touchdowns. Kennedy Fono added a score in his 2019 debut. Owen Mulhaney led Houston with 233 yards rushing on only 14 carries. Gavin Mulhaney chipped in 100 yards on 10 carries. Fono had 82 yards on only eight rushes.

Denali Whitted can also claim a bit of history, Nelson said. Nelson said he believes Whitted is the first girl to kick an extra point above the Arctic Circle.

The Wasilla Warriors were forced to endure a long, and unexpected stay, at the Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage before they could even get to Kodiak to play the Bears. Wasilla was supposed to fly to Kodiak Thursday evening and play the Bears Friday at 6 p.m.

That didn’t happen.

Wasilla ended up sleeping at Anchorage Christian School Thursday night, before returning to the airport, where they spent most of their day Friday. Wasilla head coach Ken Ottinger estimated about a 26-hour wait before they finally boarded the plane.

“The kids were pretty exhausted,” Ottinger said. “Kudos to my kids. We just made the best out of it.”

Poor weather between Anchorage and Kodiak resulted in the delays. Ottinger said the Warriors came close to having to cancel the trip completely.

“We were literally down to our last cancelation,” Ottinger said.

Ottinger said the flight was delayed four times. On more delay, and the Warriors would have been sent back to Wasilla. But the Warriors were able to make the trip.

After a slow start, Wasilla scored 20 second-quarter points in the nonconference win. Quarterback Colton Lindquist finished with 300 total yards, and factored into all six Wasilla touchdowns. Lindquist rushed for 160 yards and four scores. He threw for 140 and two touchdown passes.

Like Wasilla, Redington also had to battle some adversity before hitting the field. The venue of its game against Seward was changed three times. It was originally scheduled to be at Seward. Early in the week, the Huskies thought they would be hosting Seward as games across Southcentral Alaska were being cancelled or rescheduled due to the Swan Lake Fire on the Kenai Peninsula. Ultimately the game was moved to The Dome in Anchorage, with a Friday night start. Redington head coach Matt Weinberger said the Huskies were stuck in Friday afternoon traffic, and arrived just about 20 minutes before kickoff.

“Last week was kind of stressful, but I pretty pleased with the outcome we had,” Weinberger said.

Weinberger said it was a rough start for the Huskies in the game.

“The first quarter was not good for us,” Weinberger said.

But Redington put it together in the second, scoring 30 points.

“That was pretty dominant. We gained some confidence pretty quick,” Weinberger said.

Jaden Spaulding rushed for a pair touchdowns, and returned an interception for another score. Wayde Bowman threw two touchdown passes. Javon Paul added a touchdown run and touchdown catch.

Contact Frontiersman managing editor Jeremiah Bartz at sports@frontiersman.com.

Load comments